Making a commercial fit-out process smooth and efficient often initially lies with the business owner – believe it or not. The business owner is responsible for the company hired and relaying what he or she wants to be done to the business. If this starts poorly, then it’s highly likely that you’ll have a successful commercial fit-out experience.
In this article, we’ll explore how you can make the entire commercial fit-out process easier. Here’s why you should pay special attention to our tips:
- Minimise delays and the productivity lost from your team.
- Reduce the chance of extra costs.
- Increase the likelihood that you are presented with a final product that perfectly reflects what you want.
While we understand that every fit-out is different and will vary across sectors, company, style, budget and timing, we believe that our guidance can help you realise a successful commercial fit-out.
4 Tips for ensuring a successful commercial fit-out
- Be realistic with your timeline
Remember that commercial fit-outs take time and cannot be done overnight. As a business owner, you should expect realistic deadlines. For a proper and thorough commercial fit-out FMR Building Services will have to execute an initial concept design and costing, detailed design (and get these approved) and then finally, construct according to plan. This can have a timeframe anywhere from one month to 3 months, depending on the size of the project. For quality services, allow a practical amount of time. If you’re unsure about how long a project may take, contact FMR Building Services.
- Prepare a brief – know exactly what you want
We highly recommend that you develop a clear vision of what you want by preparing your own brief. A personal brief will allow you to ascertain the type of workspace your company requires. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind when developing your brief.
- The aesthetic you want – incorporate your brand identity and how you want customers, clients and employees to feel in the workspace
- Account for the company’s future growth
- Accommodate for the type of environment and communication that you want, for example, an open floor plan facilitates a collaborative environment
- Power and data requirements for different types of staff
- Audiovisual requirements
- Necessary equipment needed by staff
- Find an appropriate workspace
When you ascertain what you require from your workspace then you will have a clear idea of what kind of space your business needs. A suitable space is important for the success of your commercial fit-out because it essentially determines whether your vision can come to life or not. Here is a list of factors to consider when researching and visiting commercial properties:
- Size and location
- Toilets and kitchen
- Condition of the finishes
- Condition of services
- Availability of utilities
- Lease terms and conditions
If you’re doubtful about the potential of a space, feel free to consult FMR Building Services. Our team will gladly advise you on the suitability of your space.
- Ask/Instigate regular meetings with your company
For all projects, FMR Building Services will maintain consistent communication. Ensuring that you are kept up-to-date on the latest developments, progress and achievements on-site, however, not every company is like this. Depending on the complexity and size of your project, you may be waiting a long time for the project to finish while also paying rent in the space. This makes it even more pertinent that you keep on top of the company’s progress. Instigate regular meetings with all parties involved, ensuring to speak about the following:
- Site progress
If you’re in the Sydney metropolitan area, and you require a commercial fit-out for your business then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 02 9898 1626.